BOOK CLUB | March/April


So... it's been a while since my last book review post, but I actually have only read about four books in the past two and a half months. Stupid work and friends and everyday life taking up all of my time! But, I did really enjoy the ones I managed to read. Like last time, I've linked all the books to their Amazon page (since that's where I bought them for my Kindle), so you can click through for a synopsis.

GONE GIRL | Gillian Flynn
I'd heard a lot of good things about this book, and while mystery-crime isn't really my kind of thing, I really wanted to read a good, addictive story. WELL. Man this book is good! I can't really write too much about it because there's so many twists and surprises (is it a spoiler to say that?) that were completely unexpected. It's was very fast-paced but didn't rush through the story, and I just found the whole way it was written (each chapter was voiced by either the lead character or his wife) so interesting. Honestly, I think it deserves all the amazing reviews it's gotten and it definitely lives up to the hype. So read it now (unless you have important things to do in the next few days because this book will take up ALL of your time).

I have to admit, I bought this book while I was waiting for Jodi Picoult's new book on pre-order (I assumed the order would come to my Kindle right on midnight, Australia time, even though Amazon is a US website and probably pretty flexible with delivery times anyway) because I wanted something I could rush through quickly. But I was really surprised by how much I loved this book! It made my heart ache. It was so beautifully written. I kind of wish I hadn't read it before I saw the movie, because while the movie was really good, it left out so much from the book and a lot of the details had completely changed. But I'd still recommend both of them (although I'm a little biased because of my massive crush on Jennifer Lawrence).

THE STORYTELLER | Jodi Picoult
Okay so this was the book I pre-ordered. I have heard a lot of people throwing shade at Jodi Picoult but I LOVE her books. This one was pretty different to her other books - there was no courtroom drama at the end, about two-thirds of it was set during the Holocaust - but it was still so gripping. The Holocaust chapters were so intense; I've read quite a few books set in WWII but these stories were so awful that I wanted to stop reading but at the same time I had to keep going to see what happened. The parts of the book set in the present time felt a little rushed, but to be honest they were the parts I was least invested in. It's a heavy read but definitely worth picking up.

I just had a Jancee Dunn book in last month's book reviews, but after reading all these full-on books I wanted something really light and cheerful. It's her first fiction book and while I didn't love it as much as her other books, it was still utterly delightful and light enough to read over an afternoon. It was a pretty predictable chick-lit formula, but with all these achingly bittersweet moments that made my heart hurt. Damn, book! Why you gotta play me like that?! Anyway, the masses of '80s references aside (as if the title wasn't a giant clue it would be based around that era), I thought it was a really sweet book. A perfect holiday read.
QuickEdit
Tara
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!