2012 Style Direction: '50s Housewives in a Tim Burton Film


I've always enjoyed reading Gala Darling's style directions (you can peep 2010 and 2011) so I thought that this year, I'd do one for myself. A couple of weeks ago I was in a big flummox about the state of my wardrobe; all of a sudden I was worried everything was too cutesy and, well, not quite grown up enough for where I am at the moment. Of course, I still love the vintage look and I don't think I'll ever grow out of that, but I wanted to streamline it a bit more and add more of an 'edge' to my look.

Hence... '50s Housewives In A Tim Burton Film!
I don't mean this too literally. What I mean is great outfits with quirky details, that are psychedelic and don't conform, but with some more serious and dark touches. Think intricate detailing, big black shoes, crazy candy-coloured tresses and bright, clashing patterns.

Here are some of the pictures that have been inspiring me lately...

Left: Skuse Family tattoo models, found here; Right: An ASOS necklace I bought just before Christmas

Left: Inside Khloe Kardashian's Shoe Closet, from Stylist.com; Middle: Paz de la Huerta shot by Eric Guillemain, found here; Right: Paper Dolls from Ladies Home Journal, June 1967, found here

The girl who wears this look is quirky, feminine, and mischievous. She is dripping with costume jewellery and other frippery, and is always overdressed. She has the right outfit for every occasion. She wears high heels all the time. She wears a vintage leopard print house robe when she's swanning around her home. She makes big messy batches of cupcakes and ices initials of sweethearts onto the top. She loves Miu Miu and Alexander McQueen. 


Left: "Sequins" by Lucy Lauct, May 13 2011; Middle: Dita Von Teese shot by Peter W. Czernich for Marquis Magazine, December 2010 found here; Right: Kirsten Dunst shot by Terry Richardson for New York Times style, found here

Left: Balenciaga jacket shot by Tommy Ton on JAK & JIL, found here; Right: Miu Miu Resort 2012 campaign shot, found here

Left: Miu Miu Resort 2012 campaign, found here; Middle: Stolen From Grandma vintage shot campaign, shot by Tessa Kit Zawadzki, found here; Right: "Holiday Hair" by Sea Of Ghosts, found here

Now I should probably go and clean my room so I can actually SEE what clothes I have, instead of just groping around the floor or my bedroom. But I'm really excited to share my style direction with you & I hope that if you make a post, you link it in the comments so I can see it!

x
QuickEdit
Tara
2 Comments

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a cool direction figured out for 2012! I love all your inspiration pictures. Hopefully, I'll write one of these this week - I've been meaning to since last New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of your new style direction for this year. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

    Come and visit my blog if you get a chance, I'm a Perth blogger too :)

    http://borrowedwardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!