Style Icon: Grace Jones


Grace Jones is the statuesque, androgynous, infamously angular singer-actress from the 1980s. Although she had success with her singing & acting career, it is her style for which I know her for & which I love the best! I love that she's not a 'traditional' beauty, it only makes her all the more fantastic in my opinion!


"As a model one is forced to spend a lot of time in front of the mirror and I just started to freak out, like I was going on the other side of the mirror. So I moved every mirror out of my house when I stopped modeling."

"I think I'm doing a service to black women by portraying myself as a sex machine. I mean, what's wrong with being a sex machine, darling? Sex is large, sex is life, sex is as large as life, so it appeals to anyone that's living, or rather it should."

What does Grace think of Andy Warhol’s legacy in commercial art?
“It’s like a museum. My Warhol’s — the ones he did of me, a series of small hamburgers, and photographs and Polaroid’s, because we spent so much time together. What Andy did do was make it possible for artists to make money while they were still alive. This was his genius. But he was very generous with me. That whole lot just loved doing art, you know — it was more about that. Creating.”


Rocking the cage skirt long before Susie Bubble!

She has a reputation for being a bit wild - keeping interviewers waiting for hours (in one interviewer's case, five days) and, of course, slapping a talk show host across the face when he turned his back on her. "I have no regrets. He was misbehaving, which is why I thumped him. We had a rehearsal of the show but when we got on air, Russell completely changed it and turned his back on me. I fumed: "Why have I flown in all this way from America just to be ignored? I'm not having this." So I thumped him." - Daily Mail



"Now when I enter a carriage, it almost empties. But there's always one brave enough to stay."

"I wasn't born this way. One creates oneself. I believe whatever I dream. Whatever I dream, I want to do."
It's really refreshing to read about someone so honest, so politically incorrect, & so openly accepting & proud of who they are & what they achieved. How can you not admire someone like that?

x

p.s I've been thinking about these 'Style Icons' posts for a while & have decided to focus on women who I think are inspiring, as well as stylish. I mean stylish ladies like, say, Agyness Dean or even Twiggy are great, but they don't really fill me with inspiration the way Grace Jones & Isabella Blow do. What do you think?
QuickEdit
Tara
3 Comments

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning, she really is an inspiration!! Hope you're having a wonderful day dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've admired Grace's style for years. I haven't always agreed with her antics, but she is definitely an 80's style icon to be remembered.

    Just in case: I'm not sure if you know, the woman in the picture with Warhol is not Grace. That is the recently deceased 1st black supermodel, Naomi Sims.

    Good post and nice blog. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl Lynn - Thanks for letting me know, the source where I found the picture said it was "Andy Warhol photographing model Grace Jones", I let my journalism skills slip a bit! I'll put it in the article :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!