Summer Essentials


A girl at work told me yesterday that this summer was going to be one of the hottest on record - I'm not sure how true that is, but it has definitely made me get my butt into gear and start thinking about what I want to wear this summer! Here's my summer wishlist, and I guess the summer essentials for someone who actually prefers winter...

1. A good bikini
All the magazines I read say something along the lines of "If you don't have a great stomach, wear a one-piece. If you don't like your hips, wear a one-piece". And so on. Well, I don't know if any of them have ever actually TRIED a one piece bathing suit, but on me they just make me look more wide and short-bodied than I would prefer. Honestly, I prefer a bikini and cute boardshorts on bottom. Then I found this one and pretty much fell in love.
I love the retro feel, I love that it still covers up your hips and draws attention to your waist, and it's in colours that will be in every summer. Hopefully I can find the equivalent while I'm out shopping, but Australian designers seem to follow the "less is more" philosophy!
2. Comfortable shoes
I really, really detest thongs (flip flops) as everyday wear. Sure, they're fine when you go to the beach and only need to get past the burning sand, but I think for the rest of the time it's not THAT much effort to wear something a little less... rubbery. For example:

Obviously these sandals won't be the most practical idea when the weather is 40 degrees and over, but even leather thongs (again, talking about flip flops here) are a better choice for me than just plain old Havianas. I really like tan for summer because it looks AMAZING against (faux) tanned skin and with white.
3. Good underwear
When it's incredibly hot outside, you don't want to be constantly adjusting everything and feeling uncomfortable. That's why, to me, having a camisole that you can just loll around the house in is a fantastic piece for summer. One that doubles as a top in winter (under a cardigan and with a pencil skirt) is even better.
This set from LouLou Loves You is basically everything I would be looking for. Can you not just imagine sitting around eating icecream and reading magazines in front of the airconditioner in it?
4. Leather accessories
For some reason I always reach for leather accessories in summer. I just think they offset a flirty floral frock so perfectly, and also, they're sturdy enough to withstand all the swimming, music festivals, and other generally summery activities.
I love these cuffs from Sewlutions, because they still look quite feminine for leather. The loopy design is quite nifty too!

5. Maxi dress
Currently I have two maxi dresses and they are my favourite things in the world. They're just so easy to chuck on and go and still look put together (especially if they were put with the sandals above!).


I particularly like this dress because it has a very geometric, almost tribal print (which you know I like), which I haven't seen on a maxi dress before - usually they're either plain or quite girly.
6. A white shirt
I think that a white shirt is a quintessentially summery piece. In summer, it's so easy to just walk around in shorts and a singlet and be done with it, but a white shirt is just as easy but looks SO much better. Like Jane Birkin traipsing around Paris with Serge Gainsbourg.
I featured this Witchery shirt in particular because all the proceeds from the sale of this top go directly to the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation. I think it's a great idea - to find out more go to http://www.whiteshirtcampaign.com.au/.
What are your summer essentials?
x
p.s Obviously these are strictly fashion essentials - sunscreen with SPF 30, a hat and sunglasses are necessities!
QuickEdit
Tara
6 Comments

6 comments:

  1. the sandals are definitely on the top of my list alongside a straw trilby hat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man. I wish it were summertime here. I got extremely confused for a minute, and then remembered that it is in fact summer for you. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bikini is so pretty! And I really do love the print of that maxi dress. Hope you're having a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visit your blog for the first time but I love it! The modcloth bikini is adorable. Summer just end in the netherlands so we are preparing for winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list; I adore that swimsuit. Sunnies are one of my summer essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tigerlily currently have a swimsuit that's really similar to the one you posted, but in black. It has those gorgeous high-waisted bottoms, and a cute, halterneck top. Check it out, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!