"Now it's time for the odds to get even!"


One thing that never really occured to me during the whole "geek chic" phenomenon was that it included all the clothes that would have gotten you beaten up, or at least mercilessly teased, during high school. Even some of the fashions not really related to the trend are pretty nerdy when you think about it (high waisted pants, anyone?). So I thought I would dedicate this post to not only my favourite nerd clothes, but my favourite nerds. Enjoy.
High waisted pants: Interestingly, I WAS mercilessly teased in primary school for wearing high waisted stuff. I think that was mainly because hipster jeans had only just come into fashion and only the coolest girls in my class had caught onto that fact. Clearly I, a musical-loving, H.P Lovecraft-reading 11 year old, had not caught on to that fact. Anyway, not only are these pleated pants now available at Bergdorf Goodman, they are also paired with a gingham shirt. Le geek c'est chic indeed.
Glasses: The bigger the better, it seems. People are so desperate to wear glasses now that they are even just wearing glasses frames, or frames with plastic lenses. I'm sure no one has been called "four eyes" for quite some time.
Nerd-related shirts: This shirt, shown on StephtheGeek, is the Microsoft Blue Screen of Death, which I'm guessing is not in the everyday vocabulary of anyone who doesn't work in computers. It seems that "personal joke" T-shirts are an essential part of the nerd chic. Anyone can wear a shirt that has a brand logo on it, but only a few would be prepared to wear a shirt with parodies of Star Wars quotes, lesser-known Sega characters, or villians from obscure comics on them.
Oxford shirts: Buttoned all the way up to your neck, of course. Bow tie = bonus points.
And my favourite geeks:

If you want more:
"I just wanted to say that I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the
rights of other nerds. I mean uh, all our lives we've been laughed at and made
to feel inferior. And tonight, those bastards, they trashed our house. Why?
Cause we're smart? Cause we look different? Well, we're not. I'm a nerd, and uh,
I'm pretty proud of it." - Gilbert, Revenge of the Nerds
x
QuickEdit
Tara
4 Comments

4 comments:

  1. Now what will kids be teased for wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the nerd boys that you posted.

    And LOL at the blue screen t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. annie - i tend to scoff at kids who look like lindsay lohan/corey worthington clones, but that's just me...
    karen - i know! i wonder where you can find one... and also yes all those nerd boys are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God I love Moss so much! He doesn't even have to say anything to make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!