Oscar Wilde


I'm not sure how many dapper gents read this blog, so I won't comment too much on Oscar Wilde's very elegant style, but either way the great thing about him - apart from his fantastic style and decadent lifestyle - was his mind. And, as the quote in my header says, "The only real elegance is in the mind," so educate yourselves with some of my favourite quotes from my favourite author.

♥ "All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his."
♥ "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."
♥ "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
♥ "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."


♥ "How marriage ruins a man! It is as demoralizing as cigarettes, and far more expensive."
♥ "I suppose society is wonderfully delightful. To be in it is merely a bore. But to be out of it is simply a tragedy."
♥ "The typewriting machine, when played with expression, is no more annoying than the piano when played by a sister or near relation."
♥ "It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."

...and my very favourite:

"To love onself is the beginning of a lifelong romance."

If you want more:
x
QuickEdit
Tara
9 Comments

9 comments:

  1. Oh I simply adore Oscar Wilde, I remember when I first read the Importance of Being Ernest, I would literally read the same line over and over again, it was just written with such delicious sarcasm. I'd love to have him whispering in my ear if I were involved in a dual of wit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always say i would want to meet him (...never mind that he's dead) but i am afraid he would say something devastatingly witty and then go off and drink martinis and bitch about my outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hee these are cool. i just read your profile & i love of montreal & elvis costello, yay! do you want a copy of the mamma mia soundtrack?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god yes please!! i keep meaning to buy it but never remember when i'm out. can you still come to the burlesque thing on sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha alrighty then. did you like the grates new stuff? my favourites are the fun in every start & burn bridges.
    yuppp i'm excited! how are you getting there, is chris driving? what time are you planning to arrive & are you dressing up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. well if you like you can drive to mine and catch a taxi in? i think some other people are doing that. and i'm kind of dressing up, well dressing up more 50's style than usual.
    oh and i forgot to say you can bring whoever you want, if gem or amanda want to come or someone from uni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh that would be cool. okay i shall see if anyone does.. gem & amanda both work so they won't be. mm i'm trying to think, i don't think i have anything 50s! haha anyway i'm sure i'll come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's another:

    "All art is quite useless."

    - Something about that stuck with me, whether or not I agree. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious." - Best. Quote Ever.

    I read Wilde's 'Salome' when I was about 8, complete with graphic illustrations. I think my mum's choices in literature for me when I was younger had a lasting effect.... She made me read Tully when I was 10 and i've been not quite right ever since.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!