Mixtape #1


Hello! I've been listening to a lot of new music lately - which certainly makes a nice change from my usual exclusively '50s and '60s playlists - and I thought I'd share some of the artists I've been really loving! Just to be clear, some of these might not be 'new' music, but whatever even as a sometimes music journalist I'm pretty behind the game. So let's get it started...


The Lumineers popped up on a Spotify radio playlist and every one of their songs I listened to was amazing. I find that sometimes folk music gets a bit bogged down in trying to be this big profound thing (I'm looking at you, Bon Iver), but these are just wonderful, happy songs. And, okay, they're opening for the Dave Matthews Band on their latest tour, but I can't even hold that against them.



   

I am pretty obsessed with The Preatures' song Take A Card and I can't wait to listen to the rest of their EP! They have such an awesome retro sound (I think they describe their sound as Gothic Soul, which I think is pretty much the raddest description ever) and the band is a bunch of babes, which will be a welcome bonus should I ever see them live. 



   

I saw Gin Wigmore at the Blues & Roots Festival at the start of the year and my dad bought her album pretty much straight away, but like the fool that I am, I waited until a couple of weeks before looking it up. And now I feel even more foolish because it's such a great album that I've listened to over and over and over. My favourite song from the album is above, but the whole album is incredible. Again, it's got kind of a retro feel so I love it even more.





I found Girls through Spotify as well. The article that I got the image from was about how the frontman had quit the band, so I'm a bit bummed that I'm so late to the game! They sound great, kind of like a scuzzy garage band Beach Boys.

Well, that's all I've got so far! Thanks for letting me share my musical finds. Hopefully you've found something that's making your earbuds happy!


{Images 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 }

QuickEdit
Tara
1 Comments

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to give these all a listen when my boyfriend isn't playing the Xbox on full volume! I was really happy to discover new music this week too - we went to a festival on the weekend where we didn't know any of the bands before we went, and I ended up liking heaps of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!