All About Me Salon Review


I have a very tumultuous relationship with hairdressers. I had the same hairdresser in Bunbury until I was 18, had a brief fling with Toni&Guy, and then a disasterous rebound with Maurice Meade. However, in an unassuming little salon in South Perth, I think I may have found my hair soulmate.

At the moment, All About Me has an offer where first-time customers can get a cut, colour, paraffin hand wax, mini-facial, and hair treatment for $180. Although it IS a lot of money to spend on a haircut, for the sake of research for this blog (yes... research...) I decided to go for it. I was pretty much sold on the colour after Sascha, my hairdresser, let me know that the highlights from Maurice Meade were showing through again, and we decided on a dark brown colour with a reddish tint. I was really happy that she brought over one of those colouring books with samples of colour on synthetic hair, rather than just pointing to a picture of Jessica Alba and saying "Yeah, this is what your colour will look like".

While my colour was developing, or whatever the term is, I had my mini-facial and paraffin hand wax. I'm not beauty writer, or expert in any way, but even I could tell that the beautician was really good at her job. I have no idea on what kind of products one uses in a facial, but they did have nice face-tingly qualities. I was a bit cranky that my skin felt really greasy for the rest of the day, though. The paraffin hand wax, which I had never heard of before, was... odd. If you don't know, it involves having your hands moisturised and then dipped in hot wax, wrapping it in gladwrap, and then putting it in a big oven-mitt kind of glove. This locks the moisture in and leaves your hands really, almost scarily smooth. My hands are pretty soft anyway (thanks to doing no hard labour, some might say) but I could tell a difference after having it done. A pretty pointless exercise for someone who doesn't have dry hands but I could see the benefits of it.

I was a bit worried about the cut itself - I once got my fringe cut in high school and it was way too short and had ragged edges. I was quite scarred by having to wear a headband for four weeks while it grew out! I got a bit nervous after having the length of my fringe cut and then having all my hair straightened - I looked like an extra gothic Meg White. Or the girl from The Ring. I (silently) sighed with relief as Sascha started cutting the shape of my fringe and curling the ends of my hair to give it some bounch. The treatment she used was Moroccan oil and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD it was awesome. It makes your hair so incredibly soft and luscious feeling. I would have bought some if I hadn't paid so much for the actual cut itself.

All in all I was really happy with the end result. The colour looks great and they knew exactly what I wanted in a hairstyle. I may be ready to settle down with this one.

Pros: Fantastic hairdressers who actually LISTEN to what you want, vibrating chairs at the hair washing stations, great service from all the employees
Cons: Not a good choice of magazines (... it's important to me!), being "sold" to with the deal and with products at the end, I think that it would get really busy on late nights and weekends

Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ and a half/ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
All About Me, shop 1/16 Mends St, South Perth WA
(08) 9367 2427
QuickEdit
Tara
4 Comments

4 comments:

  1. Thankyou so much for that! I have had bad experiences with maurice mead and toni and guy but always end up back there because I dont know where else to try. Cant wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love getting my hair done
    http://pinacoladakisses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never wished i lived in Perth more than what i do now. sounds so nice and so relaxing. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou so much for that! I have had bad experiences with maurice mead and toni and guy but always end up back there because I dont know where else to try. Cant wait to see pics!
    beauty salon perth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x

I'm a freelance writer who blogs about Perth (my old home), Paris (my new home), fashion, food, and everything else that takes my fancy. Have a look around and enjoy!